Re: Meetings in other regions

On 13-Jul-2006, at 07:38, Fred Baker wrote:

I spoke a week ago with Franck Martin, from Fiji. If you're looking for "places", Fiji would be a wonderful. He complained that while many GBPS of fiber traveled within a few miles of his home, but due to the cost of the landing site he was limited to tens of kilobits. If you're looking for OC-3 to the hotel...

As an aside on Fiji, I think the price issues with access to Southern Cross from Fiji have more to do with effective regulation. In other words, the price of the connectivity from a meeting's perspective probably depends greatly on who your sponsor is (or, more specifically, whether they happen to be the people with the exclusive local access to the cable head).

Franck would no doubt get much most cost-effective and higher- performance access to his house if he acquired sponsorship of this kind :-)

APNIC 18 was held in Fiji, and very nice it was, too. I have fond memories of SIP over wifi from the beach.

Joe