Re: My notes on draft-carpenter-newtrk-questions-00.txt

On Wed, 12 Jul 2006, Spencer Dawkins wrote:
2.  Focus on document relationships

 Today, users of IETF standards have no way to unambiguously identify
 the complete current set of specifications for a given standard.  In
 particular, there is no effective structured document identification
 scheme and no systematic approach to documenting the relationship
 between various parts and versions of a standard.

 This issue is best illustrated by example.

Actually, the IPv4 example in the document is quite good, but looking at dependency graphs like http://rtg.ietf.org/~fenner/ietf/deps/viz/ipv6.pdf (for IPv6, but that's
also interesting) is an even better illustration. Or
http://rtg.ietf.org/~fenner/ietf/deps/viz/sip.pdf, for SIP.

Is there an expectation that the IETF should define which specifications should be implemented to constitute "implements IPv6", "implements SIP", or whatever?

I guess folks have since abandoned the concept of IETF deciding on behalf of users and vendors which features are necessary in a given scenario or trying to determine what needs to be implemented to interoperate with already deployed implementations.

Don't get me wrong, I love documents like draft-ietf-tcpm-tcp-roadmap-06.txt. They just take a long time and significant energy to produce. However, the main purpose (AFAICS) of those documents is not to specify which specifications must be implemented to interoperate, so many of the arguments of newtrk-questions section 2 do no apply.