RE: are we willing to do change how we do discussions in IETF? (was: moving from hosts to sponsors)

On Wednesday, June 28, 2006 09:45:27 AM -0700 "Hallam-Baker, Phillip" <pbaker@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I do not think it would be a good thing to make it an inviolate rule that
a chair can never be an editor.

Nor do I.

I do think that there should be a fixed rule prohibiting members of the
IESG being WG chairs. I would also include the IETF chair in this.

I don't. While I agree this should be a rare occurrance, I have seen no evidence of a problem that such a rule would be intended to address. If it's not broken, why spend time trying to "fix" it?

The position at BOFs is rather different. It is usually helpful to have
someone experienced in IETF process to chair a BOF and often the best
person to do that is someone who is not directly associated with the
actual proposal.

I agree. In addition, I would note that while a BOF chair does have the same logistical responsibilities as a WG chair in terms of making the meeting happen, they are not necessarily making a long-term commitment to the proposed work. Of course, many BOF chairs are already active with the proposal, but that's not a requirement and, as you note, may actually not be the best way to run a BOF.

-- Jeff