Re: are we willing to do change how we do discussions in IETF? (was: moving from hosts to sponsors)

> > Trouble is, in our current process, there's rarely any formal
> > request for feedback, and little external visibility of a WG's
> > output, until Last Call.
>
> That's what charters are for, aren't they?

in practice, they rarely serve that purpose.  we're not in the habit of structuring our groups this way.

> > So when I'm saying that working groups need multiple stages of
> > formal, external review, what I'm really saying is that we need a
> > structure for working groups in which we can have confidence that
> > sufficient feedback will be obtained early enough to put good ideas
> > on the right track and to see that truly bad ideas get weeded out
> > in due time, most of the time.
>
> Hm, I think trying to kill bad ideas is largely a waste of time.

perhaps, but that doesn't mean we need to provide them with incubators, and that's what many groups end up doing.

> Often, the fatal flaws will show up as the idea is
> developed, so a lot of them go away without doing anything anyway.

there is one important class of bad ideas that doesn't go away in IETF -- the class of bad ideas that is obviously bad from a wider perspective but which looks good to a set of people who are focused on a narrow problem.  and in IETF what we often do with those ideas is to protect them and encourage development of them in isolation by giving them a working group.  we sometimes even write those groups' charters in such a way as to discourage clue donation or discussion of other ways of solving the problem.

Keith