Re: IDs first? RE: Last Call: 'Proposed Experiment: Normative Format in AdditiontoASCII Text' to Experimental RFC (draft-ash-alt-formats)

> > I like the idea.  But it has to be compatible with software
> > that people already have.  How many browsers that people
> > actually use these days support MHTML?
>
> It is supported in IE and Firefox and has been for about five years or so.

That might not be quite good enough, but it's close enough to warrant
further investigation.

> The format is currently defined by a Microsoft note but this can easily be made into an RFC, it is a widely supported standard extension of MIME.

What was wrong with RFC 2557?  How can we assume that this is a stable
format given that MS apparently felt they could change it on a whim?

> Creating one of these archives is easy, just view the HTML page and click 'save as archive'.

My copy of firefox doesn't seem to have that feature.

> Another point to consider, the only sustained objection being made to this proposal is that future generations may be unable to read the documents.
>
> This particular objection cannot be made credibly with respect to Internet Drafts which expire in 6 months in any case. Nor do I think it is reasonable to require support for people using obsolete software in this case. If someone can't install the latest version of Firefox their ability to contribute to a WG is going to be negligible in any case.

Unfortunately, many IETF participants are expected by their employers
to use broken software.

As someone who has actually tried producing I-Ds in alternate formats,
I'm not sure that I agree that there's much benefit to having only I-Ds
use the new format.   People who review the document need to be able to
see something close to the version that will actually be published.

Keith