Re: Image attachments to ASCII RFCs (was: Re: Last Call: 'Proposed Experiment: Normative Format in Addition to ASCII Text' to Experimental RFC (draft-ash-alt-formats))

On 19-jun-2006, at 20:09, John C Klensin wrote:

> (2) If I prepare an RFC draft using some mechanism which
> produces a document in form X, where X might include

> 	* ASCII text, via emacs or vi, with a post processor for
> headers, footers, or page numbers
> 	* xml2rfc
> 	* MSWord plus some templates and post processing
> 	* nroff with a profile different from the RFC Editor's standard
> 	* LaTeX or TeX
> 	* Obscure word processor 7b

> then the RFC Editor makes changes, possibly extensive and
> returns the revised document in an ASCII text format.

Now I have never written an RFC so I don't know how all of this
works, but I have written two books for different publishers so I
know how this kind of thing works elsewhere. My question: does the
RFC editor really live up to his/her name and perform extensive
edits?

The answer is it depends. I've had some documents that were pretty much
unchanged while others were edited quite extensively. In recent work I've
observed that most edits are good ones, but occasionally the RFC Editor doesn't
quite get what's going on and bolixes something up. It is therefore imperative
that every change be carefully reviewed by the document authors.

And if so, what are the nature of those edits? I can't imagine
they go to the technical content, so either it's language (copy edit)
or formatting, right?

Most are editorial in nature. Occasionally there will be a change with
technical implications though. We're not dealing with fools here, you know.

> No matter how good my tools are, I'm going to have to do
> considerable, mostly manual, work to retrofit those changes into
> my source.

I don't know what other authors do, but I edit all the changes back into my
xml2rfc source, iterating until my output matches, modulo numbering and
paragraphing and whatnot, what the RFC Editor produced. This way I am
sure to catch any mistakes introduced by the editing process. I also end
up with a source file that's a useful starting point for the next revision
of the document.

This is quite tedious but not especially difficult as long as you have provided
xml2rfc sources to the RFC Editor as a starting point. If you haven't done that
my guess is the process isn't nearly as nice.

Ok. If we're talking about copy edits here, then this is one for the
problem statement. Note by the way that the formatting authors are
normally expected to do is indicating heading levels, block quotes,
captures, that kind of thing. This is very easy to do with styles in
modern word processing applications, which generally make anything
tagged with a style look different. It's also easy to do with old
school tools such as nroff and HTML/XML, and unless I'm mistaken,
there are tools available to convert between the two approaches.
(Word processors generally have a document format in common that
preserves the style tags if not their attributes.)

The RFC Editor provides an annotated differences listing showing you what
changed between your final draft and what's in the actual RFC. It is a simple
matter to duplicate this tool and use it to tweak your sources to match the
actual RFC. I've tried using change bars and other fancier tools, but I have
concluded they're more trouble than they're worth.

If there is an iterative cycle of changes between the authors and the
RFC editor, I think it's necessary that this is done with some form
of style tagging.

There already is such a process, but IMO you're mistaken about what's needed to
improve it. The thing I'd like to have that isn't already there is a way to get
the xml2rfc sources the RFC editor used back for comparison purposes.

In addition, more advanced word processors such as
Word and Star/Open Office/Writer support a "track changes" feature
where any changes made to a document are identified along with who
made them. This makes sending different versions of a document back
and forth infinitely easier, but it has the downside that many word
processors and other tools don't support this, so the selection in
tools is much smaller.

Again, I've tried these things a couple of times and found them to be more pain
than gain.

> But, if it is not, then one of the discussions we should be
> having, IMO, is about selecting one or two additional input
> formats (xml2rfc and Word stand out as candidates to me) in
> which the RFC Editor is willing to accept input documents and
> return editing results to the authors for review.

As I indicated above, the RFC Editor already accepts xml2rfc source for
documents as a starting point. My understanding is that they then do  as much
of their editing as possible against the xml2rfc source, then generate nroff,
then tweak the nroff and possibly even the final output to get exactly what
they are after.

it would be great if more of the work was done on the xml2rfc and less in the
later stages, but I think the RFC Editor is already moving in that direction.

Yes, this makes sense. Especially if the Word format is only used as
a "lingua franca" without depending on specific details. I.e., I can
write a text in Open Office, tag it with the right styles and export
to .doc format. In Word or another word processor that can read those
files, the styles will still be present even if the document looks
slightly different from the way it did when I wrote it because some
information is lost when saving in a non-native file format.

My immediate thought in response to all this is "what a colossal waste of
time". I want to focus on document content, not stylistic frills and irrelevant
minutiae. That's what the RFC Editors gets the big bucks to do... I therefore
want a tool that lets me engage in semantic markup with as little attention
paid to layout issues as possible. It is exceedingly unfortunate that some
amount of device-level markup is still needed in xml2rfc, but hopefully as the
tools improve over time actual use of such facilites will become less
necessary.

THis is not to say there aren't cases where I want precise control of document
output. I run into such cases all the time, and when I do I use TeX. But this
has nothing to do with writing RFCs. Something is very wrong if an RFC requires
this sort of work.

> Doing so
> would solve a large number of problems, not only wrt easily
> producing PS/PDF forms when needed, but for producing revised
> versions of the relevant documents for updated standards, etc.
> That suggestion has been made several times; as far as I know,
> the discussion has never gotten off the ground.

THe issues surrounding the production of revised versions are top of my
personal list at least.

Let's see if we can do better now.

> (3) Finally, if one adopts the "plates in the back" model, the
> PDF (or whatever) document contains the illustrations and _only_
> the illustrations.  That makes it fairly insensitive to the RFC
> editing process.

I'm not too happy about that. If we're going the route of using
images for formulas and drawings, it makes sense to make those
available as separate files in an "easy" format such as GIF or PNG,
or, in addition or alternatively, a PDF can be produced where the
images are present in-line with the text. Having the images separate
from the text in a PDF has all the disadvantages of PDF: possibly
large files, small selection in viewers, security and compatibility
issues, but it's still inconvenient when reading the text and having
to hunt for the images separately.

> So I suggest that, generally, we would find
> that, in a "text plus figures" model, the editing process would
> generally change the text only, permitting the figures/images to
> remain unchanged.

That is not my experience. Figures are very hard to get right, they
very often require edits.

It depends on what sort of edits you're talking about. Both figures
and equations move things away from pure semantic markup and towards
presentation specifics. It's unavoidable, and once you enter the presentation
realm the list of possible tweaks to make things just a little bit
better often seems endless. But I question whether such changes
are really necessary in a lot of cases. Sure, I've sometimes spent hours
with TeX or in OmniGraffle trying to make those equations or that block
diagram look a bit nicer, but after having done so I've rarely believed
it was time well spent.

				Ned