Re: Image attachments to ASCII RFCs (was: Re: Last Call: 'Proposed Experiment: Normative Format in Addition to ASCII Text' to Experimental RFC (draft-ash-alt-formats))

On Jun 16, 2006, at 11:40 PM, Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:

From: John L [mailto:johnl@xxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, June 16, 2006 8:27 PM
To: Hallam-Baker, Phillip
Cc: John C Klensin; ietf@xxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: Image attachments to ASCII RFCs (was: Re: Last
Call: 'Proposed Experiment: Normative Format in Addition to
ASCII Text' to Experimental RFC (draft-ash-alt-formats))

You mean that we should update the current medieval print format to
take advantage of the best technology available to the Victorians?

Yeah.  I realize that it's appealing to upgrade to the latest
half inch nine track tapes (a format that lasted 20 years,
after all), but I get the impression that I'm not the only
person who would prefer to move with greater caution.

Nine track was effectively obsolete a decade ago.

I disagree. In my past employment, whenever we would have press attention, the TV guys would want pictures of spinning tape drives to show how scientifically and technically advanced we were. The last time this happened, we had to hunt around to find someone who could get an old 9 track running for the photo-op.

I see no adequate replacement for this from new technology.

Regards
Marshall

No problem getting support for it:

http://www.chicorporation.com/ninetrack/drives/9906.html

The key to making sure you have lasting support is to make sure you choose a standard that enough people depend on that you are not going to be the only person needing a compatible exit strategy.