RE: Image attachments to ASCII RFCs (was: Re: Last Call: 'Proposed Experiment: Normative Format in Addition to ASCII Text' to Experimental RFC (draft-ash-alt-formats))

Nine track was effectively obsolete a decade ago.

No problem getting support for it:

http://www.chicorporation.com/ninetrack/drives/9906.html

The key to making sure you have lasting support is to make sure you choose a standard that enough people depend on that you are not going to be the only person needing a compatible exit strategy.