Re: Last Call: 'Proposed Experiment: Normative Formatin AdditiontoASCII Text' to Experimental RFC (draft-ash-alt-formats)

On 16-jun-2006, at 19:25, Lyndon Nerenberg wrote:

As far as I know, support for SVG or _any_ vector image format is much, much less common than for bitmap formats such as PNG or GIF.

Yes, but SVG is catching up rapidly. As a W3C standard, it *will* be widely implemented.

We'll have to wait for that before we could use it. And I don't believe for a second that it will come close to bitmap formats.

So editing bitmaps is fairly trivial with well-defined results. With vector formats, there is a very complex one-way relationship between the file and what you see on the screen so the ability to edit them requires much, much more complexity.

But we are describing an *archival* format. It's not important that they be editable,

Yes, it is.

it's important that they be renderable on the widest range of output devices as is possible.

And you think vector graphics fit that requirement better than bitmap graphics???