Re: Best practice for data encoding?

On Mon, 5 Jun 2006 20:07:24 -0400, "David Harrington"
<ietfdbh@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi
>
> The security problems identified in
> http://www.cert.org/advisories/CA-2002-03.html "Multiple
> Vulnerabilities in Many Implementations of the Simple Network
> Management Protocol (SNMP)" are not caused by the protocol choice to
> use ASN.1, but by vendors incorrectly implementing the protocol (which
> was made worse by vendors using toolkits that had the problems).
>
> If "Multiple Vulnerabilities in Implementations" were used to condemn
> the encoding methods of protocols that have been incorrectly
> implemented, then we would have to condemn an awful lot of IETF
> protocols as being very (security) bug prone:

Works for me....

More precisely -- when something is sufficiently complex, it's inherently
bug-prone.  That is indeed a good reason to push back on a design.  The
question to ask is whether the *problem* is inherently complex -- when the
complexity of the solution significanlty exceeds the inherent complexity of
the problem, you've probably made a mistake.  When the problem itself is
sufficiently complex, it's fair to ask if it should be solved.  Remember
point (3) of RFC 1925.

I'll note that a number of the protocols you cite were indeed criticized
*during the design process* as too complex.  The objectors were overruled.