RE: LC on draft-mankin-pub-req-08.txt

This posting was somehow delayed, but still seemed to generate some comments.

See proposed resolutions inline.

Stephen Hayes

The proposed compromise is to change "refrain from" to "exercise restraint in making" in requirements POSTEDIT-3 and POSTEDIT-4.  Making everybody 100% happy with this text is impossible because we are talking about shades of grey.  Nobody wants poorly written documents and nobody wants the editor changing the semantics of a document.  However, based on the comments I have received, I believe that the bulk of the IETF community would prefer to err on the side of maintaining the author's semantics.

Still I hope the proposed text of exercising restraint in making changes is acceptable.  I think it respects the professionalism of the publisher while at the same time communicating the risks of improving readability.

> As a minor matter, figure one is trying to make a useful statement,
> but one of the headings caused me to have to spend more time staring
> at the figure, rather than making things clearer.  In the row labeled
> "Actors", WGLC and IETF LC appear.  Those are states, not
> actors.  Also, the action listed (Formal Reviewing) does not, as far
> as I know, currently occur during those phases.  The formal reviewing
> occurs after IETF LC ends, during IESG deliberations.

Propose to change WGLC->WG, IETF LC-> IETF, and Formal Reviewing-> Reviewing.