RE: The Emperor Has No Clothes: Is PANA actually useful?

>     >> My question is more why do they need EAP in situations where
>     >> they are not running at the link layer than why do they want or
>     >> not want PANA.
>
>     Bernard> The simple answer is that there are situations which IEEE
>     Bernard> 802.1X cannot handle on wired networks.  As specified,
>     Bernard> IEEE 802.1X is "network port control", which means that
>     Bernard> authorization is controllable only at the port level.  If
>     Bernard> there is more than one host connected to a switch port,
>     Bernard> then that model no longer applies.
>
> Yeah.  I guess I wonder whether you are actually getting
> network access authenticatino at that point or whether you
> are getting a service that allows you to check posture.  It
> seems that a service that simply allows you to check posture
> should be not EAP.

I fully agree. As far as I can tell, using EAP in this manner merely
reduces it to a posture transport protocol. The level of security
provided by EAPoUDP does not seem to be any greater than a
kerberos-based authentication done today in most enterprise networks,
considering the presence of switched ethernet. Hence, the only reason to
move to EAPoUDP would be to check posture and I agree with Sam that
making EAP the posture transport protocol is a bad idea.

Vidya