Re: Stupid NAT tricks and how to stop them.

    > From: Keith Moore <moore@xxxxxxxxxx>

    > NATs do harm in several different ways

It's not just NAT's that are a problem on the fronts you mention, though:

    > they block traffic in arbitrary directions

My ISP blocks incoming SMTP and HTTP connections. Has nothing to do with
NAT.

    > these days they often destroy transparency.

Some ISP's trap outgoing HTTP requests and silently divert them to caches.
Again, it's not just NAT that's doing this.

    > NATs started with a simple design, pretended it would work well
    > without doing the analysis,

Actually, I think the people who started NAT's (mostly Paul T) understood
quite well what the problem were going to be. It's just that NAT was such
a simpler/cheaper solution in the short term that it was too attractive.

Realistically, the last chance to avoid NAT was when variable-length
addresses were removed from IP somewhere in the TCP 2.5 -> TCP 3.0 -> TCP
3.1 transition (I don't know exactly which stage it was). In other words, a
*loooonnnnggg* time ago. We've just been along for the ride ever since.

	Noel