Re: Stupid NAT tricks and how to stop them.

Today, 90% of the phones in the world are still analog. Including mine,
in the capital of California and my buddies' in the heart of Silicon
Valley.

the (static) statement that "90% of phones are analog" seems very wrong to me.

according to newest ITU-D estimates, by the end of 2004, there were 1.2 billion land lines, with an average annual growth rate of 5.8% since 1999. this means 18.99 lines per 100 world inhabitants [1].

i ignore how many of these lines are analog, but what is for sure is that the most phones today do not have any lines at all: at the same time, the ITU registered 1.76 billion cellular subscribers, with an annual growth rate of 29% since 1999. This makes up for 27.61 phones per 100 world inhabitants [2].

the vast majority of cellular phones are not analog (GSM+ being the nr 1 technology [3]) and thus probably less than 50% of world phones are analog.

i don't know how this relates to the current nat/ipv6/ipv4 discussion, but the argument above could be easily turned into a counter-argument: one could have said that with the original analog phones we were not able to solve the digital divide in the voice service and a new technology has become necessary :-)

regards
artur

[1] http://www.itu.int/ITU-D/ict/statistics/at_glance/main04.pdf
[2] http://www.itu.int/ITU-D/ict/statistics/at_glance/cellular04.pdf