Re: Moving from "hosts" to "sponsors"

Henning Schulzrinne wrote:
Indeed. Not only is it small, it isn't where corporate bean counters
put their attention, which is air fare, hotel, and per diem.

Brian,

this is not universally true. With cheaper air fares and not staying in the overpriced Hilton hotel rooms, my IETF65 meeting fee was almost exactly the same as my combined hotel and air fare costs. For those of us not on corporate expense accounts, it's the total amount that matters.

Sometimes, people even use frequent flier miles, double up
in rooms, and don't eat every meal in an over-priced restaurant,
just to attend an IETF.  (Not me, but some people ;-)

For people paying their own way, the meeting fee is the only
fixed cost in the trip.  It's expensive already, and trending
upwards (not expensive if you stay all 5 days, but some of us don't).

I guess I was just wishing out loud when I said maybe the
meeting fee could trend down instead of up.  I would be happy
if the IETF had more control over the meetings so the fees
were stable, the network was stable (use sponsor money to
buy more gear and let our ace NOC team control it), and
the venues were set far enough in advance to give me
the maximum travel options.

The old single sponsor system isn't working anymore.
I'm concerned the IETF will fix the problem by raising
the meeting fee $50 every 6 months.

Andy