Re: 2 hour meetings

On Fri, Mar 24, 2006 02:29:23PM +0000, Dave Cridland allegedly wrote:
> I don't actually have the choice, but I find remote participation
> generally okay, for the most part, albeit I have the slight advantage
> of starting off my internet experience in telnet BBS systems, so I'm
> generally used to the text chat thing, the lag, etc. The audio lag is
> more unnerving, in the cases where the Jabber scribe is helpfully
> typing in what people are going to say before they say it.
>
> Many thanks to all the jabber scribes in those meetings I virtually
> attended, and, just as important, thanks to those physically present
> who also monitored and used the Jabber rooms, and thus made me feel
> somewhat like an attendee (albeit in the cheap seats) rather than a
> "not present".
>
> I'm somewhat hoping that the use of the Jabber server outside the
> meetings might be able to take off as a method for more
> high-bandwidth discussion, paradoxically leaving more time in the
> "real" meetings for the kind of presentations that Keith hates, but
> this time having them aimed at cross pollination between groups and
> areas.

I love what you can do in text-based systems and support the idea of
having ongoing issue-specific discussions available.  In text-based
environments, input takes a little time, but everyone can speak at
once so progress can be rapid (if facilitated well when needed).

However, jabber is relatively primitive.  I don't need video or audio
but I would like to be able to collaborate on a figure with you,
highlight text I'm "talking" about, that sort of thing.