Re: Moving from "hosts" to "sponsors"

Henk Uijterwaal <henk@xxxxxxxx> writes:

>>I think there are some good ideas here.
>>
>>I find that WG meetings are too short to get anything useful done, and
>>all the issues that would benefit of longer face-to-face discussions
>>are taken to the mailing list before any concrete proposal are fleshed
>>out.
>
> But is the WG the place to have the discussion?  In most of the WG's
> that I attended this week, technical discussions were typically between
> 3 to 5 experts in the field who know everything about the topic, the
> rest of the room either couldn't follow the discussion or had nothing
> to contribute.

That's my experience too.  However, usually there is not enough time
for the experts to sort out the issue and arrive at a proposal at the
meeting.  That means the primary reason for having the current
meetings are so that the experts can identify each other and then meet
and talk off-line in the hallways.  Formalizing that procedure, and
enable it to happen remotely at any time of the year may improve
productivity.

> That means that there are 50 or so people sitting there doing
> nothing.  While I agree that face-2-face discussions are useful, I
> much rather see the discussion take place in the hallway, then have
> one person report on the outcome.

I think virtual interim meetings may have a similar end result.

/Simon