Re: Making IETF happening in different regions

On Thu, 23 Mar 2006, Keith Moore wrote:

Except of course that many of the "US Sponsors" are in fact global companies anyway. Think about the list of recent and future sponsors.

sure, but the sponsors get some leeway in where meetings are held (since we're more likely to hold a meeting in an area where someone is willing to sponsor it), and one of the factors in a sponsor's decision is probably cost. so if we say to our potential sponsors, "sure you can host a meeting in city X, but you're going to have to pay for it as if it were in city Y", somehow that doesn't seem likely to fly.

Bear in mind that potential sponsors like to host meetings where they actually have local presence. Having people on the ground for months before a meeting is a way better recipe for success then stagging it somewhere else and installing it on friday before the meeting started.

If you liked the network for this meeting bear in mind that the people putting it together have been working on it since like october.

joelja