Re: Clarification of my comment on giving up on process issues

On Wed, Mar 22, 2006 05:00:14PM -0800, Hallam-Baker, Phillip allegedly
wrote:
> I would like to see a two tier scheme for standards (i.e. eliminate
> the illogical and misleading status 'DRAFT') but on the
> understanding that standards require periodic review. By periodic I
> mean that there should be fixed windows that are scheduled in
> advance when the standard will be reviewed. There would be a fixed
> interval in which defect reports could be submitted. One of the
> topics of the general session for each area would be a report on the
> defect reports and discussion of whether a new revision WG was
> required.
>
> It might be easier to close WGs down if this was not quite so final.
> Allowing a 'fast track' for defect reports would encourage proposers
> to come to the IETF with complete proposals with a substantial
> degree of consensus in the user and developer communities. If the
> defect report is justified the need should be widely felt, if as is
> likely the report is describing existing field practice addressing
> that need there should not be a need for substantial discussion.
>
> In some cases it would be appropriate to reactivate the working
> group concerned, in others a mini-WG might address multiple
> protocols. The need is most common in the security area where crypto
> practices need to be revised every 5 years or so. An area wide
> activity describing use of SHA-256 would be an example.

It seems to me that if we can't motivate people to review/evaluate/fix
a proposed|draft standard once, how can we motivate them to commit to
doing so periodically?  Are you saying that if we allow them to slap a
standard together and declare it done more easily, that they will be
more willing to come back and fix it later?