RE: draft-santesson-tls-ume Last Call comment

At 12:03 AM 3/22/2006, Russ Housley wrote:
>Kurt:
>
>Would text like the following (which is largely stolen from draft-ietf-tls-psk) solve your concern:

No.  While the language does address part of the question:
        how/where canonical of the user_principal_name
      string is performed?
it neither addresses this question:
        how/where canonical of the domain_name
      string is performed?
nor address the question:
        what character set/encoding is used on the wire in
        transferring these character strings?

I also suspect that the selection of SASLprep here, which
is intended to be used for simple usernames and passwords,
is appropriate for all of the user_principal_name string.
My understanding is that the user_principal_name is
composed of both a simple username part and a domain
part.  Components of the latter likely should instead
be prepared by nameprep (if allowed to carry IDNA
components).   Also, as the user part of the
user_principal_name is, it appears from casual
examination of various MS documents, to be
case insensitive, SASLprep should not be used.

Kurt