Re: Guidance needed on well known ports

On Mon, 2006-03-20 at 12:09 +0100, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
>  Ned Freed <ned.freed@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > The privileged port concept has some marginal utility on multiuser
> > systems where you don't Joe-random-user to grab some port for a well
> > known service.
>
> "had", not "has". The concept was invented at a time where multi-users
> machines were rare and expensive monsters. So, a request coming from
> source port 513 probably was "serious". Today, any highschool student
> is root on his PC and therefore this protection is almost useless.

you shouldn't allow unrestricted access to the network from unmanaged
hosts, that's a recipe for disaster.  consider rogue DHCP servers, for
instance.  we still use host based authentication for port 514 (rsh) on
strictly managed networks as a supplement to SSH.  this requires
physical security for network equipment or exposed hosts (not users)
doing 802.1x authentication.  the protection is not useless in that
environment.
--
Kjetil T.