Re: Beyond China's independent root-servers -- Expanding and Fixing Domain Notation

> Mohsen,
> it seems that Stephane tested the Chinese open root too much and
> meets some naming problems.
> Or that Stephane wants you, and others may-be, to be PR-defamacted
> one shot with me.
> jfc
>
> PS. I note his technical evaluation that "The problem is 100 %
> political and should be addressed in ICANN / WSIS / IGF / whatever
> but not in the IETF." I suppose this means that the Chinese Domain
> Names are seen as a "problem" (Chinese people and other linguistic
> communities members may see them another way) and that the related
> technical issues either do not exist or are no part of the IETF concerns.

	They are still a problem whether you think they should exist
	or not.  The problem is that they are added unilaterally
	and people using them expect everyone else to be able to
	resolve them as well.  The method of adding them was wrong
	as it does not scale.  If every language added the equivalent
	you would have hundreds of sets of nameservers that you
	would have to track down and add to your own configuration.

	The whole point of the DNS was that you didn't need to do
	that because it provide a *single* namespace from a *single*
	set of servers and you didn't have to graft on hundreds of
	TLDs.

	Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC