Re: Last Call: 'Definitions of Managed Objects for Remote Ping, Traceroute, and Lookup Operations' to Proposed Standard

Elwyn Davies <elwynd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Bill Strahm wrote:
>> Robert Elz wrote:
>>
>>> I cannot see why there's a debate going on here. If someone, anyone,
>>> can read a spec, and, in good faith, point out a possible ambiguity
>>> in the text, before the doc is finalised, and if fixing it to avoid
>>> the problem is easy, what possible justification can there be for
>>> not adding a few words to clarify things, and make sure that confusion
>>> does not happen?
>>
>> My mother can't read internet drafts either.  Should we change our
>> language so that my mother can read and comprehend them.
>
> Authors should be expecting that their works will be read by people
> who need to get the background right as well as those actually studying
> every line, so it is best to use clear and unambiguous language if at
> all possible...

   Over many years, I have noticed a characteristic group dynamic where
folks put their effort into agreeing on words, without bothering to ever
agree on what the words mean.

   This _often_ leads to seemingly irrational defense of the exact words
which have been agreed upon. :^(

   I suggest that folks take note of this feature as we move in the
direction of having documents shepharded by WGCs through the process
leading to publication as an RFC: Folks who have been intimately
involved in choosing exact words will often prefer to defend the words,
rather than defend the meaning.

   This looks like a situation in which only a DISCUSS by an IESG
member would be sufficient to get the wording clarified.

   :^( :^(

--
John Leslie <john@xxxxxxx>