Re: What's an experiment?

On 2/16/2006 2:01 PM, Joe Touch wrote:

> Eric A. Hall wrote:
>
>>On 2/15/2006 12:19 PM, Joe Touch wrote:
>>

>>>There are two different potential intentions to 'Experimental':
>>>
>>>1. to conduct an experiment, as Eliot notes below, i.e.,
>>>  to gain experience that a protocol 'does good' 'in the wild'
>>>
>>>2. to gain experience that a protocol does no harm 'in the wild'
>>
>>There is a third option, which is "we are not sure how this will work, or
>>if it will even work at all really, but we are confident enough in its
>>design stability to release it in limited form for further study"
>
> That's #1 - if it doesn't provide some gain (utility to someone),
> there's no point in the experiment ;-)

I think #1 is closer to what we use Proposed Standard for--to "gain
experience that a protocol 'does good'".

The scenario I proposed is for when you know that there are upsides and
downsides but you want to see which one comes out on top by exposing it to
scale/weirdness that is only found in the real world