Re: What's an experiment?

On 2/15/06, Brian E Carpenter <brc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> When considering some recent appeals, the IESG discovered that
> we have very little guidance about the meaning of "experiments"
> in relation to Experimental RFCs.

<http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3160.txt>

What's wrong with the definition that appears in RFC3160, section 6.5? Quoting:

>>  Experimental RFCs are for specifications that may be interesting, but
>>  for which it is unclear if there will be much interest in
>>  implementing them.  That is, a specification might solve a problem,
>>  but if it is not clear many people think that the problem is
>>  important, or think that they will bother fixing the problem with the
>>  specification, the specification might be labeled an Experimental
>>  RFC.

This definition allows publication of specifications that some people
don't like or don't care about. It also implies that there might be
other RFCs attempting to solve the same problem.

> We encourage community discussion and development of more specific
> guidelines on operational conflicts caused by experiments and how this
> should affect what we choose to publish.

The overview of the IETF[1] highlights two areas of concern:

  a. The evolution of the Internet archicture
  b. The smooth operation of the Internet

So, it would seem to me that experiments must not damage the Internet.

[1] http://ietf.org/overview.html

--

Robert Sayre