Re: Consensus

Dear Sam,
I reviewed the meaning of "filibustering" in different dictionaries and wikipedia. I have to apologize to everyone. I took the word [from its origin - filibustero, flibustier, freebooter] in a totally confusing way. Actually, I see now that a "filibuster" is what Harald has now engaged the IETF/IESG into, to confuse the RFC 3066 bis appeal and the IAB appeal.

Stupid of mine. Now, I have a problem because I have no simple word to name my kind of action and describe my relentless diversified and pertinent ways to get delivered what I need, user's QA included, in the multilingualisation area, as described by the Tunis documents.

At 01:12 21/01/2006, Sam Hartman wrote:

JFC> Dear Sam, I go through JFC> The problem is that the IETF works by consensus but thinks by
    JFC> hummings. Working by consensus means that I MAY be right
    JFC> against _everyone_ (here an external affinity group in a new
    JFC> area). But the community has no mechanism to address that
    JFC> case. What to do if I am really right?

The IETF actually works by rough consensus not consensus.  If you are
the only one who holds an opinion then by the decision making process
we as a community have chosen we will decide against you.

Confusion is the problem. It makes difficult:
- sometime to understand the position of the community
- if a rough consensus has been really found.

WG consensus by exhaustion, IETF consensus by disinterest, IESG consensus by impossibility to know everything are not rough consensus. This is why appeals may be necessary for important issues.

BTW, you say "if you are the only one". How many should we be?

You have an opportunity to try and convince us you are right and we
are wrong.  But if you fail to do that we will move on without you.

Only God, true geeks and fools should try and convince.
I am interested in being convinced, possibly in informing.
And in obtaining the corresponding deliverables.
See below.

If you attempt to stop us from moving on once we have listened to you
and determined the rough consensus is against you, then you will be
excluded.

I am a user: there cannot be a rough consensus against me. But there may be a rough consensus not to deliver what I need. Then I am just no more interested. We will only oppose if the IETF disloyaly interferes with others' deliverables (or mine's). What I thought impossible.

I think we have decided as a community that filibustering
is not something we will tolerate.

Agreed. Now, I understand. A PR-action is a good filibuster ... .

So you should expect to be excluded from any forum where you filibuster.

Correct. But I never did. Except unwillingly when misunderstanding the filibustering concept. This may have confused some and made them and you waste time. I hate that. I apologize again.

But I would be pleased if someone could help with a proper better word. Since this community seems so much interested in reviving an issue I though closed.
jfc