RE: Wireless at IETF

> From: ietf-bounces@xxxxxxxx [mailto:ietf-bounces@xxxxxxxx] On
> Behalf Of Ted Faber

> On Wed, Jan 18, 2006 at 02:23:49PM -0500, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
> > In message <20060118185700.GS96731@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Ted Faber writes:

> open and can
> > >
> > >Loaded statement?  Check.
> > >Precise statement? Check.
> > >Supported statement? Hmmmm.....
> > >

> > I'm not sure which part your claiming is unsupported; my
> own informal
> > measurements agree with the 70% number.  I'm not at all
> convinced that
> > "Internet criminals" use such access points as a major means of
> > access, though.
>
> Well, none of it's supported.  Your statement above about
> informal measurements is support for your statement of 70%
> and indirectly of his.

The figure came from a presentation at an (anti-) Internet crime
meeting. I do not remember the source.

Although I do have similar concerns about figures like that being
repeated without verification it is certainly believable and compatible
with my own experience.

> Going from an open access point to anonymous criminal access
> seems much more implausible to me.  There are all sorts of
> hurdles one could put up between "no link level protection"
> and "anonymous criminal access."  But again, I'm wrong all
> the time and a citation for that much more damning statement
> would be very welcome.  Without one I feel like I'm watching
> local news.

As for the use made by criminals, that has been documented and the
frequency is increasing. In one case in Toronto a pedophile was caught
surfing the Internet from his car with no trousers on... We see quite a
few script kiddie level hackers using open WiFi connections.

It would not have been difficult to design WiFi in such a way that it
was secure by default. None of the mechanisms provided to consumers has
met that requirement.