Re: bozo-proofing the net (or making better bozos?)

> >Can we also conclude that SSL/TLS has failed as a tool for general
> >communication?
>
> If we were holding it to the same requirements that some appear to be
> asking for DKIM, I think we'd have to.

Right.

> There is a certain amount of SMTP over TLS, an entirely automated
> application, and the net hasn't collapsed.
> People have figured out reasonable ways to deal with TLS errors,
> ranging from dropping the connection if it's suppposed to be part of a
> private mail network to logging and ignoring the errors if it's
> regular mail.  If they set up their regular mail servers to drop
> connections on TLS failures, they'd lose a lot of mail.  So they
> don't.
>
> I don't see any reason to assume that mail admins will be any worse at
> dealing with DKIM errors than they are with TLS errors.

I don't see why DKIM is inherently different either.  If ISPs were looking
for an excuse to not accept mail from unknown sources, they could use SMTP
over TLS and a customized set of trust anchors to achieve that aim,
without requiring any new protocols.  They didn't.

> So as I said several messages ago:
>
> >I really need clarification of why DKIM RFCs need to tell people about the
> >dangers of balkanization, even though HTTPS, S/MIME, and DNSSEC don't.

Don't hold your breath.