RE: Alternative formats for IDs

> It does not matter how many people can read MSWord.
> The only supported formats should be the ones where you know
> what the format is (and not the ones that depend on particular
program).

Why ?

If you take that as an axiom, then indeed it is easy to rule
lots of formats out.

But, what is the justification of the axiom?
Why not say - only use formats for which there are decent
editors easily available?

And why do all the other SDOs get along with non-ASCII formats?
On my intranet I have a list of 120+ SDOs in the communications
and computer-science fields, and although I haven't gone through
them all (I have asked someone to do so) I haven't found another
group that uses ASCII files.

If the axiom is so strong, then why doesn't it bother anyone else?

Y(J)S