RE: XML2RFC submission (was Re: ASCII art)

Dave,

	It looks - to me - as if Bob's post is in response to
Bob's own earlier post.  That should make it difficult to
construe his more recent post as an "attack."

	At worst, it's a quick response indirectly aimed at
another quick response.

	One issue with to quickly responding to Bob's earlier
questions is that the XML version - as Christian has already
said - cannot be the authoritative/normative version of an
RFC.  I would qualify that someone by allowing that an XML
version cannot be authoritative/normative unless it is
completely self contained.  And, by self contained, I mean
there MUST be an absolute, positively concrete guarantee
that every time we process it, it will always produce exactly
the same text.

	If that is the conditions under which it may be useful,
then it is simpler to retain the text.

	The reason for this - as someone else pointed out - is
that the version on which people have agreed is the text
version that they read at the time when they agreed.  Even
if the text version was directly produced at that time from
XML, it is that text that they read at the time that they
agreed to.

	An analogy of why this is an issue can be seen in why
it is that a pre-merge version of a slew of nearly identical
contracts has no legal value - even if archived with an exact
image of the data used in the merge.  Only a signed contract
has the enforceability of a signed contract.

--
Eric