Re: [dhcwg] Re: DHCID and the use of MD5 [Re: Last Call: 'Resolution ofFQDN Conflicts among DHCP Clients' to Proposed Standard]

On Monday 28 November 2005 23:40, Harald Tveit Alvestrand wrote:
> This means that we will not have a backwards compatibility issue with the
> installed base if we change the format of the record, but *will* have a
> procedural compatibility issue if we don't keep the property of "you can
> know the expected content of the record without fetching it".

Yup.   My only objection to changing the hash algorithm is that it means a rev
of the document that could cause us to go through another wglc or ietf last
call (as opposed to editorial changes, which presumably would not).
Otherwise, while I don't think it makes any difference, it's otherwise fine
to use SHA-256 instead of MD5.