Re: [dhcwg] Re: DHCID and the use of MD5 [Re: Last Call: 'Resolution of FQDN Conflicts among DHCP Clients' to Proposed Standard]

In message <200511282150.01493.Ted.Lemon@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Ted Lemon writes:
>On Saturday 26 November 2005 09:56, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
>> In fact, the Security Considerations section should analyze the
>> (non-trivial) probability of a brute-force attack.
>
>It doesn't matter.   The point of the DHCID is to allow two servers to avoid
>accidentally stepping on each other.   If you break the DHCID, what you get
>is the ability to pretend that you are another DHCP client.   If you succeed
>in doing this, you can take over that DHCP client's name, but you don't get
>to keep it, because you are using the same identification as the other
>client, and so it's going to take it back.   The information that you would
>use to pretend to be the other client is routinely being sent over the
>network in the clear, so you don't need to break the DHCID to get it - you
>just need to listen on the wire for a packet from that client.   You can't do
>the attack I've described unless you are on a network managed by a DHCP
>server that manages the same namespace as the server that put in the
>legitimate DHCID.
>
>It's true that we could exhaustively go over all possible exploits, no matter
>how trivial, no matter how useless, in the security considerations section.
>Do you honestly believe that this is necessary?

It's the privacy aspect I'm concerned about.  The protocol has a
mechanism -- the hash -- intended to protect privacy.  There are
limitations to how well it works.  These may be unavoidable; that said,
they should be documented.  See Section 5 of RFC 3552, a BCP:

   Authors MUST describe

      1.   which attacks are out of scope (and why!)
      2.   which attacks are in-scope
      2.1  and the protocol is susceptible to
      2.2  and the protocol protects against

   There should be a clear description of the residual risk to the user
   or operator of that protocol after threat mitigation has been
   deployed.

Put another way, against a certain grade of attacker the mechanism
doesn't do its job.  That needs to be documented, so that people who
are concerned about the issue know to avoid this option.