Re: Reviewing the IPR Trust aggreement

Bernard,

I'm sure we can get a more formal answer about this from our lwayer,
but my understanding is that this is a non-issue as far as any IETF
contributions (drafts, minutes, emails) are concerned. The underlying
copyright in those texts belongs to the original contributors; so the
copyright status of copies that happen to be stored or cached elsewhere
has nothing to do with the Settlors of the Trust. Our concern is to
get unambiguous rights to whatever rights the Settlors currently have.

    Brian

Bernard Aboba wrote:
Lucy E. Lynch said:

"Again, under discussion. Clarifying text may not be the answer here -
we will publish an inventory of the data moved to the trust and will
update the FAQ with text clarifying the understanding of all the
parties regarding historical data that is stored in difficult to
retrieve formats. Note that anything currently available via IETF
servers (current or not) will be included in the transfer."

The concern is over "historical data" that may be stored in "difficult to retrieve formats" by one of the Settlors, but is freely available elsewhere. For example, expired Internet Drafts, meeting materials cached on Google, etc. As it stands, the document only transfers the rights to materials that are currently available to the settlors -- even if those materials are available elsewhere. It seems like the IPR Trust should have the ability to request the transfer of rights to "historical data" without necessarily triggering the retrieval process, if that historical data is already available.