RE: [dhcwg] DHCP and FQDN conflicts [Re: Last Call: 'Resolution of FQDN Conflicts among DHCP Clients' to Proposed Standard]

Pekka:

Regarding your one major issue, the updater is NOT the entity that gets
to decide whether to allow any DNS update to occur or not. It is the DNS
server that restricts who can do updates and what they can update.

We're assuming that the most likely entity to be given fairly open
access to a zone is the DHCP server and that is where the administrative
policy comes in.

A few more comments inline below (prefixed by BV>).

- Bernie

Agreed. That is why the language is the way it is. As a DHCP server is
likely to be doing the updates, it would be the entity to implement the
policy. In most DHCPv4 environments today, it is just a single A record
that is allowed.

If the client is doing the updates, it is aware of what it has and
therefore can do the correct thing.