RE: XML2RFC submission (was Re: ASCII art)

W.r.t.
> > - We can say that it's time to require XML2RFC for all drafts.
>
> there is a variant of this that i think i like:
>
> do not impose this switch onto those submitting, but change
> the formatting language used by the rfc editor to be xml2rfc.
>
> so, submissions in xml2rfc are highly welcome, but pure text is still
> welcome, with hand-conversion by the editor staff.

I appreciate that we (IETF) try to not force everybody into using the same
tool. It probably is a productivity booster for many authors if they can
continue to work with the tools they normally use in daytime job or have
become used/accustomed to over the years.

At the other hand, I would want everybody to realize that if we say:

   ..., but pure text is still welcome, with hand-conversion
   by the editor staff.

that that means a SERIOUS cost. You did all see the numbers at the
last Plenary, where (iirc) the rough number for RFC-editor is 1 million
dollars for the coming year. The more "hand-conversion" work we impose
on the RFC-Editor, the more that it will cost us (IETF).

So I feel that there is a justified "pressure" for authors to seriously
consider to use the tools we (as IETF) choose to focus on.

just my 2 cents.
Bert