Re: ASCII art

JFC (Jefsey) Morfin [mailto:jefsey@xxxxxxxxxx] writes:

 > This is here where however we have a real practical problem. Only
 > standards and procedures written in English can be authoritative and
 > Drafts needs to be designed using the ASCII charsets. This is
 > acceptable when only English speaking engineers and reading users are
 > concerned. This represents less than 1/4 of the world population.

But the entire world population isn't all equally involved in designing and running the Internet, or for that matter even using it.  (Egalitarians may claim they SHOULD be, but since they AREN'T for now, and changing languages is IMHO extremely unlikely to change that, we can ignore that for now.)  English is the "lingua franca" of the modern world, so to speak.  Therefore, to paraphrase Churchill, English is the worst possible language for Internet protocol documentation, except for all the others.

-Dave