RE: Process for Process Change (Was Diagrams ((Was RFCs should bedistributed in XML))

> From: ietf-bounces@xxxxxxxx [mailto:ietf-bounces@xxxxxxxx] On
> Behalf Of Bob Braden

>   *>
>   *> P.S. Some good arguments have already been made on both
> sides of the
>   *> ASCII art issue.  I, like many others, use Word, etc.
> editors capable of
>   *> sophisticated graphics, and have to struggle to convert
> to ASCII art in
>   *> I-Ds.  IMO this is a  ridiculous waste of time and loss
> of information!
>   *>
>
> Ease for the author of a document has to be balanced against
> convenience and universal access for its readers.

I find ASCII art diagrams utterly useless and never waste my time on
them.

I do not think that you really care about accessibility. If you did you
would understand why the idea of putting ASCII art through a text to
speech interface is utterly ridiculous. At least in HTML the voice
synthesizer knows that it has come to a diagram that it should not
attempt to interpret.

ASCII does not provide universal access and it is insulting to the
people who actually work on accessibility to make the claim.

If you mean YOUR convenience and YOUR access then please make that
point.