Process for Process Change (Was Diagrams ((Was RFCs should be distributed in XML))

This is the nth time we've had this discussion RE ASCII art in IETF, but
without a process for process change, no change could be made even if we
all agreed, which we never do of course.  While the discussion may be
enlightening and entertaining, in the end it does nothing but waste
cycles, there can be no forward motion without a way to change the
process.

IMO the ASCII art issue is an important case in point where it would be
good to actually resolve the issue.

Can we develop a process for process change where a proposal like 'allow
I-Ds/RFCs to be posted in Word' can be resolved?

Here's a possible approach:

1. submit a proposal to the IESG for a process change (in the form of an
I-D)
2. the IESG decides by majority vote whether or not to take up the
proposal
3. if #2 is yes, arguments are made for and against by anyone (in the
form of an I-D)
4. after a specified period, IESG votes on the proposal
5. the majority decision of the IESG is binding

But how do we implement *any* such proposal for a process change
process, do we need a process for that??

Jerry

P.S. Some good arguments have already been made on both sides of the
ASCII art issue.  I, like many others, use Word, etc. editors capable of
sophisticated graphics, and have to struggle to convert to ASCII art in
I-Ds.  IMO this is a  ridiculous waste of time and loss of information!