Re: Re: Please make sure that you do not run your WLAN in ad hoc mode

Joel,

> You can,(we've done it in the past) but since they're not actually
> connected to the network when they're misbehaving it doesn't buy you much
> until they fix their card, sleep their laptop, or reboot.
>
> Having done some testing with various Operating systems wireless
> implmentations, I think we can say with some degree of confidence the
> instigating hosts are generally windows 2000 machines, it could be time to
> upgrade because the winxp ndis wireless drivers won't do this without some
> coaxing. Or, I'd be happy to hand out knoppix cd's to anyone who wants
> one.

Do you have a sense if it is Win 2000 or if it is related to any specific wlan driver software?  I'd think a basic list of cards / sw that often misbehave would be a good thing.  That way, when we see a few adhoc devices in a meeting, the chairs could more specifically tell people running OS X / card Y to check their devices.

John