Re: Faux Pas -- web publication in proprietary formats at ietf.org

Hallam-Baker, Phillip writes:

> It has been the publisher's perogative, not the authors.

They have usually worked together.

Today, the author may do all the work, in which case he has complete
control.

> The past ten years represent the anomaly in this regard,
> not the norm.

More correctly, they represent a new norm.

> If you compare LaTeX to more recent document processing mechanisms
> you can see how Knuth and Lampson very deliberately set out to
> automate the existing typesetting process and styles, not replace
> them with ad-hoc DIY jobs.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say with this.

> So the tactic of the author deciding the final presentation was a
> non-starter.

In that case, plain text will do.

> And how pray is the user at either end meant to ensure that
> is the case?

It's a simple option in most programs that generate PDF.  I use
embedded subsets in all my PDF documents, and there's never a problem
with fonts, because they are in the documents.

> How do I ensure that my Adobe document creation software will be
> compatible with the reader's Adobe document reading software?

It's not a question of compatibility, it's a question of setting the
right option.  In other words, it's just a matter of reading the
manual.

> Answer: I should never need to bother.

If you're deciding the format of your document, you need to bother,
just like the typesetters who came before you.