Re: Faux Pas -- web publication in proprietary formats at ietf.org

Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:

>> he's obviously stupid.
> More likely the author is simply thoughtless.

An extreme case of "thoghtless", because the size difference
from plain to PDF is huge, I'd guess about a factor 50, from
plain to HTML it's only a factor 2.

> plain text email markup works a lot less well than properly
> designed HTML.

My stoneage MUA tries to display HTML as HTML if available,
and your experiment here was hard to read, you used a rather
small font.  IMHO it's okay if folks use HTML _iff_ necessary
in mail, sometimes (rarely) I also do it, trimming the MIME
overhead to a minimum manually - so that others with a plain
text UA might still find what I intended to say.

RfC 1855 got it wrong, monospaced fonts like Courier are still
the best choice for mail, and that won't change in my lifetime.

> IETF documents are dreadful to print out

type rfc1234.txt > prn  is pretty simple, they come complete
with formfeeds.  Admittedly the number of RfCs or I-Ds I ever
printed is zero.

> they will only print on -printers with a particular font and
> a particular size of paper.

Don't send them to your "xyz" printer driver, they are already
formatted, send them directly to /dev/lpt1 or similar.  Or use
a "dumb" driver.   Or better don't waste paper to print RfCs,
they are available online whereever you are... -)

> every two weeks acrobat asks to upgrade itself

Works for the as you said "most popular O/S on the planet" and
the reader.  And at least there are upgrades for this O/S and
some others, it's less funny with my less popular OS/2.

But some PDFs generated with open office still work with my
old Acroreader 3, no "colorspace 6 not found" or other issues
like "cannot extract embedded font".  And why should I want
any embedded fonts, my OS/2 has a nice Adobe Courier, a nice
Adobe Hevetica, even some ugly Times New Roman, that should
be good enough for anything I care about (excl. math.)

> it can't upgrade my copy which is the paid version, not the
> free one.

Maybe test this open office beast if you want to create PDFs
"visible with any AcroReader", i.e, 3 or better. <eg>  That's
a new "law", good stuff is always version 3.x, DOS, PDF, HTML,
Warp, what else ?
                           Bye, Frank