RE: Faux Pas -- web publication in proprietary formats at ietf.org

> From: ietf-bounces@xxxxxxxx [mailto:ietf-bounces@xxxxxxxx] On
> > HTML may look nothing like the author intended.
>
> Now if the author is more interested in his layout than
> readability and accesibility, let alone transport costs, then
> he's obviously stupid.

More likely the author is simply thoughtless.

I have a Treo device, plain text email markup works a lot less well than
properly designed HTML.

The problems with HTML are almost entirely the result of people trying
to give the author control over the final format which is none of the
author's beeswax.

It is somewhat ironic to see 'printability' touted as an advantage of
plaintext. IETF documents are dreadful to print out because they will
only print on -printers with a particular font and a particular size of
paper. If you try to print out RFCs in Europe or on the most popular O/S
on the planet you get the headers creaping forward or back a line or
two.

I also agree about the PDF font problem. I do have problems printing pdf
documents from time to time and every two weeks acrobat asks to upgrade
itself, then if I forget and click yes thinks for a while before
concluding that it can't upgrade my copy which is the paid version, not
the free one.