Re: Faux Pas -- web publication in proprietary formats at ietf.org

On Sun, 6 Nov 2005, Frank Ellermann wrote:

> | For incorporation into the proceedings, presentation slides
> | submitted in ppt and doc WILL BE converted to html and pdf,
> | respectively.
>
> I can only hope that they pick HTML for all slides that might
> interest me later.
>
> > Publication of anything in Microsoft PowerPoint format
> > at the ietf.org website is utterly inappropriate and wrong.
>
> With PPT I'm sure that I can't read it, with PDF I never know
> without "experiment", that can be rather expensive with V.90.

You can read that with openoffice, albeit OO 2.0 is a large download.
You can visit www.ubuntu.com to request free live and install CD's which
contain openoffice distributed with ubuntu linux.  They will ship to you
free of any charge.  Get 50 and hand them out to your friends.

If you are on a linux machine at present, you can decode pdf's with xpdf
for viewing under X11, or pdftohtml to translate to html suitable for
viewing at a shell.

Proprietary formats have no place in the IETF.  The internet belongs to
everyone, not Microsoft.

Enjoy,
Scott

sleekfreak pirate broadcast