Re: Faux Pas -- web publication in proprietary formats at ietf.org

http://www.google.com/custom?q=cache:73jsCm44tooJ:www.ietf.org/meetings/Restaurant_Guide_Map.ppt+restaurant&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

> Is big business now so entrenched at the ietf that use
> of Microsoft's PowerPoint is being encouraged at the
> ietf.org website?

PPT slide shows of the tutorials are converted to HTML, e.g.
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf-online-proceedings/05mar/proceedings/slides/wgchair-0/sld1.htm
http://www3.ietf.org/proceedings/05aug/slides/newcomer-0/sld1.htm

That's perfectly readable from my POV, unlike some forms of
PDF ("cannot extract embedded font" is now an ISO standard).

http://www.ietf.org/instructions/meeting_materials.html

| .TXT Plain text (Unix / Mac / Dos)
| .DOC MS Word Document (v 95 - latest version)
| .PDF Adobe Portable Document Format (Acrobat 3 - latest version)
| .PPT MS PowerPoint (v 95 - latest version)
|
| For incorporation into the proceedings, presentation slides
| submitted in ppt and doc WILL BE converted to html and pdf,
| respectively.

I can only hope that they pick HTML for all slides that might
interest me later.

> Publication of anything in Microsoft PowerPoint format
> at the ietf.org website is utterly inappropriate and wrong.

With PPT I'm sure that I can't read it, with PDF I never know
without "experiment", that can be rather expensive with V.90.

> a vendor-specific proprietary format

http://www.iana.org/assignments/media-types/application/vnd.ms-powerpoint

                                Bye, Frank