Re: [Pesci-discuss] Growing concerns about PESCI

Some notes on a couple of your points.....

--On 25. oktober 2005 08:48 -0400 John C Klensin <john-ietf@xxxxxxx> wrote:

-----------------------
Addendum: Examples of why this team needs to be considered as an
extraordinary procedure, created by extraordinary procedures
and without clear community consent, and cannot be considered
as an "ordinary design team"....

In no particular order...

(1) Design teams tend to self-constitute although they can be
selected.  When they are selected by a WG Chair or AD, the
membership criteria are usually clear and then followed.  In
this case, membership selection was filtered based, in part, on
the participants not being an activist and, specifically, not
having current drafts for reform.  Yet the organizer has a
reform draft, and is generating new versions of it, and is an
exception. (20050923)

I've never seen a design team that had clear mebership criteria..... apart from the self-selecting variety, the versions I've seen have all been "you look like good people; would you care to spend time here".

(3) The "team" is expected to report at the Plenary, partially
on the basis of its BOF meeting, but the BOF ends only one
50-minute break before the plenary.  Not exactly time for the
team to meet, carefully consider the discussion at the BOF, and
prepare a report.  Indeed, while it is reasonable to hope for
something else, this would appear to be a setup for the "well,
we just got a lot of input and are thinking about it, stay
tuned" reports that characterized the admin restructuring
process.

I very much agree. We specified "must be before the Plenary" in the request for a slot, and did not specify *how long* before the plenary - and got the (IMHO) worst possible time. Then we didn't flag this as an emergency in the rescheduling phase. A mistake.

(note: at the time of the BOF request being sent in, Brian was acting as AD, and I was being proposed as BOF chair. With the reshuffling of the "oversight AD" role, Brian took over the chairmanship.)

To my mind, it is good that the PESCI BOF covers some of the ground covered before - ignoring it would have been extremely stupid.

Note on the relationship to NEWTRK:
The issues PESCI is looking at - for instance the Chair role and the IESG role - are definitely *outside* the remit of NEWTRK. Asking a group that is flailing/failing wrt its current scope to take on work beyond that scope is generally not what I consider useful.

Speaking only as a PESCI member.