Re: IETF Meeting Venue Selection Criteria

At 11:58 AM 10/14/2005, Avri Doria wrote:

Hi,

I think there needs to be some mention of requirements such as:

- MUST NOT be held in a country whose visa requirements are so
stringent as to make it impossible or even extremely difficult for
some participant to attend.

- MUST NOT be held in a country with restrictions on freedom of
expression, especially if these extend to the blocking of web sites
or any other censuring of personal communications.

- MUST NOT be held in a country were local participants would be
under pressure to support national technical policies on threat of
imprisonment or other punitive actions, for their opinions.

- MUST NOT be held in a country were local participants would need
government approval to attend.

Reading through this list, it looks to me like Canada would be a good choice. For variety, some could be in the east, some in the west, some in the center. The USA, at least at present, fails to meet some of the criteria listed above and perhaps should no longer be on the list of countries in which to host meetings. We certainly have friends who refuse to travel here ot the US given present policies.

Of all the north american locales where I've attended IETF or NANOG meetings, I have to say Minneapolis was outstanding, as was Montreal. Minneapolis in March particularly was ideal. I was surprised to find a great city with widely varied food options, great awareness and of special diets (vegetarian/vegan), no major tourist draw to turn the trip to the meeting into an excuse for a vacation. Montreal in winter time similarly discourages the vacation excuse syndrome, while providing a good locale with great services.