Re: Beyond conflict

> Michael StJohns wrote:
>> Perhaps what we do is to move discussions from this list to a Jabber
>> room dedicated for the specific discussion.  Pick a time/day and a
>> moderator? (Or rotating moderators?)
>
> instant messaging, for group collaboration, has its own challenges.  the
> 'instant' means that folks are actually encouraged to react rather than
> think beforehand.  in that regard, the medium is even worse than email.
>
> im systems do not have threading, nor is it clear how threading
> could/should be done.  hence, group postings are a mess of individual
> one-liners and partial-postings.
>
> the too-quick posting behavior leads to the burden of parsing multiple
> threads of discussion simultaneously, if the list has any real activity.
>
> how is this going to improve productivity?

And here I was simply going to point out that we have a very diverse
global body - pick a time, any time and you are sure to annoy one of the
players in the discussion.  Should we have a discussion at 10 AM GMT +1
and effectively bar GMT - 7 from participating ?

I will agree that IM tend to lead to shorter less thought out answers as
everyone is attaching to their keyboard.  Plus what do you do in the
public record if I want to bring up a well thought out possition 1 hour,
or 1 day later - very hard.

E-mail has its limits, I think we all know what they are - and how to work
around them.  I would be warry of conducting official business on a new
medium without running a few "control" experiments first.  And frankly, I
think the topic at hand is WAY to important to conduct experiments with.

Bill