Re: On PR-actions, signatures and debate

Anthony G. Atkielski <anthony at atkielski dot com> wrote:

> Does the intrinsic merit of a point of view depend on how it is
> expressed?  Are people here so much slaves of their emotions that they
> cannot look past the way in which an opinion is expressed when
> evaluating that opinion on its own merits?

Does it make a difference, when someone is speaking to you in person,
whether they talk in a normal speaking voice or shout into your ear with
a bullhorn?  Does it matter if they call you by insulting names, or
question your integrity or motives, because your opinion differs from
theirs?

If these things don't matter to you, in speech or on mailing lists, then
I have to hand it to you: you are indeed a more tolerant person than I
am.

> There are no objective standards for obnoxious, abusive, or
> disrespectful speech.  I have found that characterizing someone's
> speech or writing with any of these adjectives often equates to saying
> "I disagree."

Anthony, if you wish to go on thinking that my objection to Jefsey's
behavior is merely a smokescreen for disagreeing with his opinions, you
are entitled to do so and there is nothing I can do to change your mind.
(I do disagree with Jefsey's opinions, but I also disagree with a lot of
other people who treat me with more respect and less contempt, and
consequently I have no problem with them.)

I really don't want to drag this on.  You and I have a difference of
opinion about how this PR-thing should be handled, and that is that.

--
Doug Ewell
Fullerton, California