Re: Reexamining premises (was Re: UN plans to take over our job!)

Bob Braden wrote:
*> *> X.400 tried that. So did X.25. *> *> I think one of the less-appreciated reasons the Internet succeedd was that *> its unique identifiers were *memorable*. *> *> *> Harald *> *>
And unlike X.500, the DNS was *conceptually SIMPLE*.

And indeed at the Hawaii IETF (Nerds in Paradise), there was I think one of the last gasps of X.400 within this group simply on the basis of what got put on a business card. If memory serves, this was in one of the so-called "transition" groups that were politically popular at the time.

Combining these two conversations then...

And I also have to add that having a .signature file with a list of viable paths, such as {ihnp4,seismo,ucbvax}!rutgers!lear really is not something I want to return to, either!

All of this having been said, various folks have considered doing just that several times. Of note to this group would be PIP, one of the candidate IPngs that made use of supposed landmark routing, which if I recall correctly never quite got off the ground. More recently, Dave Cheriton and his students made an attempt at something called Triad, which had all the makings of pathalias. This time the idea sank like a rock.

Eliot