Re: Reexamining premises (was Re: UN plans to take over our job!)

Steven M. Bellovin wrote:

There are several crucial attributes that are hard to replicate that way. One is uniqueness: whenever I do a query for a name, I get back exactly one answer, and it's the same answer everyone else should get.

You're making assumptions that its one system. No other medium requires uniqueness for the names _people_ use. You and I are perfectly capable of understanding that there might be two Steven Bellovins in the world. Its the email routing system that requires uniqueness. There is no reason why the addresses that system uses need to be remotely understandable by humans. The identifier I use to look you up and be able to differentiate you from someone else would be run completely differently from the addressing system used to route a message through a store and forward network.

This is the problem with "alternate" roots -- depending on where you are, you can get a different answer. It's also what differentiates it from a search engine -- my applications don't know how to make choices.

And conflating all of that into one system is the problem. Take those things that humans use and separate them from those things that computers and networks need to get things done. Don't burden people with the uniqueness requirement when that's not the way they expect the world to work and don't burden the network with having to differentiate badly between service behaviors given nothing but an IP address and a port number.

Beyond that, the mapping should be under control of the appropriate party. I don't want the moral equivalent to "Google-bombing" to be able to divert, say, my incoming mail.

Again, you're conflating two different services that should be... Which is my point. Look at the problem from a purely requirements point of view and ignore what's been done to date.....

Finally, you need locality: people within an organization must be able to create their own names.

Yep.....

It may be that some of these requiremets are fundamentally at odds with the notion of full decentralization.

If you try and shove it all in one system, sure.... The addressing requirements of IP addresses and SMTP addresses are different and probably "fundamentally at odds with each other". Does that mean you still force both to use something that doesn't satisfy either system? No....

Reexamine the premises....

-MM

--
Michael Mealling                  Masten Space Systems, Inc.
VP Business Development                       473 Sapena Ct.